Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Art

Art helps us answer some of life's greatest questions. It is a way for men and women to express the otherwise inexpressible. How do you explain what it feels like to have your heart ripped from your chest? Perhaps you write a song as I did with my first heart break, or paint a pretty picture as I did with my second, or maybe you create a blog, as I did with my third. Unfortunately though, I haven't had my heart broken for years, and that is why I never graduated film school.

So what does it take to be a good artist? Is it insight, talent, perspective, persistence, what? I think that the journey of finding and appreciating good art is almost as difficult as creating it. I hear it takes 10,000 hours to become a master at something, my problem is, I get bored after about 15 minutes. So sticking to one craft for 10,000 hours would require quite a dynamic medium. I think I may be able to stick to researching for that 10,000 hours, but that's not exactly artistic in and of itself. But check back in 10,000 /(24X365.25) years and maybe I will have created an incredibly mind blowing montage. My math may be off due to the fact that I didn't give myself any time to sleep, or eat, or de-wax my ears, but 10,000 hours is only a little over a year. So really there is no excuse for any of us not to become masters of some kind of art. Seriously get to work!



Referring to this week's clip though, simply throwing a bunch of hours at a project doesn't always garner the respect of your peers or make you a master. Mr. Brainwash, from the film Exit Through the Gift Shop, spent hours upon hours documenting, and learning about street art and the artists behind it. But when it came time for him to display what he had learned from all of that research, he seemed to be out of step with the artists who mentored him.  In his subjective opinion, maybe all art is is making something exist for people to see. For me, art is more personal. It is a conduit for making emotional connections, a way to share the human experience. And if you never really pour your heart and soul into your art, then what kind of connection can you possibly make with your audience?

And finally, the anatomy of hand turkeys.


Thanks for reading, and thanks to all the artists out there. If you have any hand turkeys you would like to share, please do.

No comments:

Post a Comment